Monday, September 21, 2009

PEOPLE MAGAZINE - MY TRAVELS












Where have you been on holiday recently?
The last holiday I took was over December/January when I went to New York, Aspen and Los Angeles. I spent a quiet Christmas in New York with family and friends. It’s like going home for me because I used to live there. We had the craziest New Year because there was a bomb scare and the whole of downtown Aspen was evacuated. Luckily, the police found the bombs and none of them detonated, but Aspen celebrated New Year’s Eve on January 1st this year. I love LA and I was lucky enough to get invited to the BAFTA/LA cocktail party for the Golden Globe nominees where I bumped into my dear friend Hakeem Kae-Kazim on the red carpet.






Name your favourite holiday destination. 
For a summer holiday, I really enjoy Capri. It’s a tiny island off the coast of Italy that Tiberius and Caligula used for debaucheraus partying in ancient Roman times. It is really beautiful and you can swim into the caves in the sea or go on long hikes around the island. Locally, I love going up to Jeffries Bay for the Billabong Pro. It is a really relaxed atmosphere and I enjoy sitting on the beach playing backgammon and watching the world’s best surfers catching some waves.


If you were offered a trip to any destination in the world, where would you go?
It has long been a dream of mine to go to the Amazon and Peru. I have a passion for ancient cultures and would totally love to see the Aztec pyramids and learn more about Mayan culture and mythology.


What has been your worst and best holiday experience and why?
My best holiday experience was when I got to go to the Monza Grand Prix. I am a huge Formula 1 fan and was lucky enough to be invited to have breakfast with Jenson and his team on the morning of the race. I even got to sit in his car to get a real feeling of what it’s like to drive in one of the fastest cars on earth. We stayed in Lake Como, which is a picturesque paradise. George Clooney has a house there, but unfortunately I didn’t spot him anywhere. Not for lack of trying, I promise. My worst holiday experience was when I went to visit my then-boyfriend in London. He was immigrating to the US, but was spending a couple months in London first. I went to visit because I missed him so much and we had a great week together. On the last day, he had a flight out first thing in the morning and my flight home was only that night. When we said goodbye I thought my heart was going to break and I had to spend the whole day wandering around a strange city all on my own. I ate a Pret-a-Manger sandwich alone in the park that day and watched all the other couples laughing and having fun together. I have never felt more alone.












What are your five must-have items to pack?
My Blackberry is my newest toy and I am obsessed with using it for twitter and BBM. For long haul flights I always keep La Mer’s ‘The Mist’ in my carry on to keep my skin moisturized. In true Diva style, I travel with a pillow, which drives my family crazy because it takes up so much space but hotel pillows give me headaches and that equals grumpy Lee-Anne, which is a much worse inconvenience to all. My I-pod is a constant travel companion of mine because every good trip deserves a killer soundtrack. Last, but not least, whether it’s a holiday in the sand or on the slopes, I always take Bobbi Brown’s tinted moisturizer with SPF to protect my face from the sun.



Have you ever taken anything out of a hotel room that didn’t belong to you?
Yes, I confess, my inner Wynona is always adding to my hotel slipper collection.  I also always pilfer the showercaps to give to my friend Shelley. She now refuses to buy them, so as a good friend I am forced to steal them for the sake of her curly hair.

Where is your dream honeymoon destination?
I am a very active person and I don’t enjoy lying and baking in the sun all day, so I would love to possibly go to New Zealand. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth and is also an absolute mecca for extreme sports. From bungee junping to river rafting, New Zealand has it all. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves, I still have to fnd someone crazy enough to want to marry me.


Do you prefer five-star hotels or self-catering?
I prefer five-star accommodation all the way. I don’t go on holiday to cook and clean up after myself. I like to wake up in a plush hotel suite between Egyptian cotton sheets with the sun pouring in through the huge windows. And lets not forget, five star has the best slippers.

Who is your ultimate travel companion?
I like traveling with people that are easy going and who are always up for new experiences. I am a bit of a prankster, so a good sense of humor is a must and if a person embarrasses easily they should rather steer clear. Traveling with good friends is always fun because I find you meet more people that way. My best friend Shelley and I have traveled extensively together and I always have the most fun, as well as getting up to the most mischief, with her by my side.

If you could travel with any Hollywood celebrity, who would it be and why?
This is tough; it’s one of three. Cameron Diaz would be a cool travel partner, she’s pretty adventurous and also laid back. We could do a surf safari together. Shia la Boeuf, because of the whole Indiana Jones thing, which would work well with my whole archaeology, ancient ruins thing. Paul Walker would also be great to travel with because I could stare at him with his top off all day long.

What’s the strangest cuisine you’ve eaten? 
This is my one conservative area; I don’t eat outside the box, so to speak. I have eaten Unagi (eel) in New York and crocodile at a game farm once. Personally though, I prefer to see animals in the wild and not on my plate.

Have you ever had a holiday romance?
Yes, It was one December in Mauritius when I was about 16. He was a gorgeous Frenchman whose accent was only overshadowed by his movie star goodlooks – I had a crush on him for an excruciating three summers before he eventually noticed me. It was a typical Hollywood movie coming of age type of experience that every girl hopes for. We never kept in touch, which is sad, but it will always be that perfect romantic memory.

What are some of your favourite things you have bought?
My ‘Sex and the City’ Dior shoes that Carrie wears throughout the movie. I was in London when the movie came out and I searched everywhere for them. I eventually found them 6 months later in Bloomingdales in New York – on sale no less - and I even have video footage of the treasured moment. My JBay sweatshirt from the Billabong Pro is my favorite top to snuggle in when it’s cold. It’s a memento from a great holiday with friends and it always makes me smile.



Have you ever learned about any different customs or traditions?
Catalan culture in Spain is wonderful. I got to spend some time in Barcelona and see Gaudi’s church, Sagrada Familia and enjoy the flambouyant cuisine. The church construction began in 1882 and won’t be completed before 2026! I also really enjoyed my trip to Zululand where we got to sample the traditional food and beer (which they keep refilling if you leave your cup upright). We got to stay in huts and learn about traditional wedding ceremonies. It is such a beautiful area and so rich with culture.


Is there a particular destination that you will never get tired of visiting?
The game reserve is somewhere I will go to for the rest of my life. It is by far my favorite place on the planet and I try to go a few times a year. I always come back recharged and feeling a little more grounded. I never get tired of watching the animals and learning about all the natural remedies you can find in the bush. The inherent mix of beauty and cruelty in the wild never ceases to amaze me.





No comments:

Post a Comment